Thursday, October 14, 2010

Chickens


Shoot! I hate when I put all my eggs in one basket!

We each have chores that rotate every week and this week, along with Emily and Kiyoshi, I have chickens, horses and pigs. Our two draft horses are wonderful and easy and the most exciting thing they do is eat carrots we pull out of the garden. The pigs are some of my favorite animals on the farm. If they can't reach the troughs (mostly cause they're growing bigger every day) they bite each other's butts until one moves. Lots of squealing ensues. Chickens are also awesome. They get excited every time you walk over since they think they're getting more food. Collecting the eggs is quite fun since they're often warm and it's cool to see how many you get each day. What's not so fun is the chickens who peck your hands and make loud chicken noises at you. We also have the duck (pictured a few days ago) and guinea hen who both showed up here and have never left.

Next week I'll be moving the beef cows to a new pasture each evening and milking in the morning. There's nothing like the fresh milk we've been getting here! Delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment