Monday, November 8, 2010

Chores part 1

Every day, pre breakfast at 7 am and post work at 4:30 pm we have a lovely part of our day. The first week I was here, I was on horses/chickens and pigs. There was a lot of grooming, feeding and egg collecting. The next week I was milking and taking care of our beef herd which is the most intense chore and I was really glad when it was over. After that I had sheep which involved moving their pasture in the morning and playing with them at night. This past week and this current one (due to the rotation switching and having new partners to work with) I have house chores which means cooking breakfast every morning and cleaning the house in the evening.

Chores aren't really that bad, though they all have their perks. Except cows, which drains your soul of energy between milking in the morning (I have it down to 30 minutes! woo hoo!) and moving their fence at night. The horses, chickens and pigs are fun since they're quick and there's nothing like seeing pigs eat. Sheep is great since it's a breeze in the morning and the evening involves simply petting them so they're used to humans. Number 60 bit my leg one day but I've forgiven her since she's the friendliest. House chores are kind of a pain since it's a bit stressful to cook breakfast for 15 people every morning but it's really nice not to have to go outside and to sip coffee and keep warm so early.

No comments:

Post a Comment