Monday, January 3, 2011

Caribbean Getaway

Theo and I had the most amazing/exciting/relaxing/enjoyable/etc vacation ever. We went with my family to the BVI and spent ten days sailing, swimming, snorkeling and celebrating the holidays.

I had meant to catch up with things I wanted to write before I left but never got around to it. I did, however, clean out my room at my parents house for the first time in years so that counts for something. The next few days might be a bit of a mash of vacation and farm related stuff as I catch up.

We decorated the boat for Christmas (there was a tree down below but we didn't get a picture).



After carols on Christmas Eve, we had our traditional sweet rolls (quite a feat when cooked in a galley!) on Christmas morning. We did a secret santa this year instead of lots of presents. I got Anomia from Mom, a new card game which is really really fun.

Theo and I spent Christmas day collecting firewood. Nothing like limbing and bucking on a beach!


After grilled lamb chops for a mid afternoon dinner (so good!), we built a fire for hotdogs and s'mores. Quite the Christmas.



On New Years Eve (locally called Old Years Night) we went to a great beach party. A local artist makes huge steel figures (this idol was complemented by giant balls and cubes), fills them with wood and lights them on fire for New Years and Full Moon festivals. Right at midnight what you see below was doused in kerosene and lit. The circles were fire crackers and behind all this were torches. All was well and good, except the wind was blowing from the water right onto the beach. We spent the first few moments of 2011 dodging smoke and embers.



No comments:

Post a Comment