Friday, January 28, 2011

Prospective Students

We've had a good time hosting prospective students this fall. It's fun to see the type of people interested in this program and meeting so many folks from different walks of life who also want to take a year off from the 'real world' and live on a farm together. This week I had my first person come up to me and say that she had read my blog. Not only did it make me feel like a superstar, it also let me know that besides this being a place for funny pictures of sheep and an outlet for typos, but it's also a helpful tool in recruiting people to such a wonderful place.

In that vein, if anyone is reading this and is interested in farming, or The Farm School (or more funny pictures of sheep) I invite any questions, no matter how mundane. I remember this summer when I was packing and kept wondering if the beds were normal or extra long like in college and therefore what sheets I should bring. So, any and all questions are welcome.

In other news, we erected the beginning of our timber frame this afternoon. So exciting! Pictures to come.

5 comments:

  1. hey! i read your blog periodically and appreciate your perspective on your experience at the farm.

    thanks for posting and answering questions while i was there visiting. by the looks of your snow pictures from the 12th, it seems like i made the right decision to get on the road early.

    take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there,

    I've been reading (and enjoying!) the blog too. Haven't come for a visit because I'm currently living in Malawi. All the great pictures and descriptions of farm life have persuaded me anyhow - sent in my application last week. Keep up the great blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admit to following Lee's more closely but I do read your blog too. You were all really helpful and kind when I visited. I hope (if I am accepted) that the group of people I am with is as awesome as yours.

    Not sure if you go to it, but if you are going to the NOFA-NH Winter Conference I might see there.

    Have fun in Italy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! I don't think we got a chance to meet when I visited the farm in November, but I have really appreciated how much you all share about your experiences and it is such a help in knowing more about the program. It really confirms that I made the right choice to apply!

    So: what are the beds like? Are they comfortable? Do they give you a list of things you need to live on the farm (Wellies, raincoats, etc) and have you found any preferred brands or real duds for any of these things? Also, anything that they didn't mention that you needed at the farm?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,

    Thanks for sharing your experience on the Farm! I was wondering if anyone from your group lives off the farm. (I'm married and my wife wants to continue working, so we would live nearby if I attend) With morning, evening, and weekend chores, it sounds like a fairly all-encompassing experience. How do you find the work/life balance? I absolutely want to get the most out of the Farm School experience, but also want to leave with my marriage intact ;-). Any thoughts you could share would be much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Nick

    ReplyDelete