Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Tenderloin?


Right when we got home from the farm, Theo and I volunteered to cook a big dinner the one night the whole family would be home. As we don't have unlimited access to meat here, we opted for some good old fashioned beef.

So commenced the hunt for grass-fed beef. It's good to know that there's a serious market in the greater boston area for it, since it was impossible to find. No Whole Foods around us had it and all they could offer was grass-fed lamb from New Zealand (talk about a carbon footprint!).

We finally found some at a small shop downtown. While paying, I asked where the beef was from. Lo and behold, he tells us it was from Adam's Farm. The same Adam's Farm that we can see from our farm.

I had a few competing thoughts at that point: I'd seen their pastures and wasn't super impressed, I'd seen their cows and wasn't super impressed, and I knew their reputation and wasn't super impressed. What to do, what to do.

We bought it anyway and served up a great dinner of tenderloin with bone marrow, swiss chard souffles, braised leeks, garlic mashed potatoes and tiramisu. But I really can't wait until I have my own farm where I know how everything is raised and don't have to hesitate at the cash register.

No comments:

Post a Comment